Thursday, January 19, 2012

Substitute Sugar

     I am going to be completly honest here, baking sugar-free is a bit trying at first, mostly because of the color and taste difference, but just stick with it, some things are even better than the orginal recipe.  
      My family and I recently started baking sugar-free and it was quite a change. We use coconut sugar which actually is not from the coconut, it is from tree itself!  So it does not taste like coconut...more like a light brown sugar.  And we use xylitol to sweeten our tea and coffee, which we do drink a lot of.
     The first most important thing if you are a diabetic looking for a sugar substitute is to find one that does not effect your blood sugar right?  Yes...but, you should also look for a substitute that actually has beneficial qualities.  Like coconut sugar and xylitol or something like that, that actually is good for you.  Stevia is also another great sugar substitute, but it does take some getting used too. I don't use it because...well I think it is nasty but some people (my Dad for one) love it immensely!
     When baking with coconut sugar, again, just substitute it for the regular sugar.  Granted it won't taste the same, and it cannot be used in some things, but it is quite good.  And also when baking with coconut sugar you will want to add at least a quarter of a cup more then what the actual recipe calls for, it is not as sweet as regular sugar.
     I believe that is all I have to say on the subject of Gluten-Free and Sugar-Free baking, so I will soon start posting recipes!


     - Marriah

  

No comments: